The Truth Behind it All

In 1984, author George Orwell, concocts a futuristic society with very limited rights and strict restrictions on individual thought. I find the lack of rebellion and the ability to control all the people very interesting. The effects of brainwashing people as well as the threats implemented to maintain order is extremely scary and can be seen as a part of the North Korean society. In today’s world in times of stress especially, right can be completely lost even in the U.S. a country where we predicate ourselves on being moral. One point of the book I would like to analyze is the ability and power of limiting information and how it can conform a society to adhere to the wills of the empowered. For example, “And in front of him there lay not death but annihilation. The diary would be reduced to ashes and himself to vapour. Only the Thought Police would read what he had written, before they wiped it out of existence and out of memory.” This ultimate control over life and history is very worrisome but brings up important questions for our society. How much of the truth do we actually know? What parts of the news are untold and left out? Read to find out, I guess.

In analyzing the ability of the author to put the readers in the place of the character it is extremely important that it was put in the first person omniscient perspective. Through this perspective the reader is open to the thoughts of the character which is extremely important in this society as all written work is punishable and very limited. In addition, by focusing the narrative against one common enemy which is the all knowing being, Orwell prevails in demonstrating the significance in maintaining one’s independence. Moving on to the importance of imagery in the piece, the cookie cutter, bland society that Orwell depicts to the reader reveals the lack of variety in society. The gray, boring, monotony clearly emulates the importance of having variety in society. Looking back at it, it’s the different types of people and cultures that make our country so diversified and interesting as the backgrounds of the people are so different.

3 thoughts on “The Truth Behind it All”

1. I really like how you connect the whole idea of controlling the masses from 1984 to our real world and highlighting North Korea as an example. I think that that would be a very interesting focus of a literary analysis essay. In addition, the quote you picked really encapsulated the idea that you presented, and does begs the question, what actually is true and who is really in control. Finally, nice job analyzing the imagery presented throughout the book and pinpointing Orwell’s intent in doing so.

2. I love how you make note of the parallel between North Korea today and Oceania because it gives Orwell’s political messages more meaning (which is pretty scary, to be honest). This allows me to make connections to my own life and question the society we live in as well. I like your topic idea on political brainwashing and I think it’d be even more interesting if you chose to connect it to our world today and the risks that it poses. Your quote also perfectly highlights the extreme power the government has over the citizens and could be a perfect asset to your paper. Good job Chris!

3. Thank you for sharing, Chris. I agree that analyzing the ability to limit information would be an interesting and vital focus. This is interestingly something prevalent today with our “fake news” available within our media. You will have plenty of information available for this.

(visual?)